Return To . . . . MuskogeeView.com

February 7, 2010

Red Lobster - Muskogee

 Located at: 225 W. Shawnee  Muskogee, OK

Saturday, January 3rd was a hectic day. We had a harsh, winter front coming in. I spent the day in Muskogee gathering supplies, such as animal feed, groceries, batteries and the like, in preparation for the possibility of not being able to get back out for several days. It takes a lot longer for my country roads to clear than the ones in town.

By evening I was pretty tired and hungry. Once I went home, I would have to jump in bedding down critters and bringing in wood, in preparation for the incoming storm and frigid temps. So I decided I wanted to treat myself to a good, hot meal someplace where I could sit back, relax and let them wait on me. I was on the Shawnee by-pass, not far from Red Lobster so I pulled in there. The parking lot was only semi busy. I was actually able to get a nice parking space close to the door, which was great because the cold air was already moving in.

As I entered I was cheerfully greeted with a warm smile. She asked how many were in my party. I said just me. As she politely ushered me on in, a hostess walked up, asking how many were in my party. The other woman told her 'one.' The hostess' smile changed to almost a frown as she remarked, "only one?" Her expression quickly changed back to a smile as she led me to a booth. She handed me the menu and left. Everything appeared neat, clean and comfortable. The dining area appeared to be about three-fourths full.

By the time I had made my choices from the menu, a young man came back to take my order. He was very polite and upbeat, making sure he had my order exactly correct. I was greatly looking forward to taking this time to enjoy a satisfying meal and relax a little before the several days of cold, hard work I had ahead of me.

In just a few minutes after placing my order, I was served my salad and those wonderful, hot, flaky, cheesy biscuits Red Lobster is so rightly famous for. While I was eating, I heard the waiters ask people at other tables if they would like dessert. At tables where several customers sat they even gently pushed the desserts making statements like, "Make sure you save some room for one of our wonderful desserts." I don't usually get dessert right after my meal, but on this particular cold night, dessert sounded really good. So I browsed through the dessert menu to make my choice.

By the time I finished my salad and biscuits (as many of them as I dared eat), my entree was being brought out. It was served with a smile as he asked if I needed anything else. Ketchup. I had to have ketchup to go with my fries. Almost immediately the ketchup was brought to me with a friendly, "Enjoy your meal."

The waiter came back quickly, and often to check on my progress and see if I needed anything. I had the strong feeling that I was being rushed. I had so looked forward to relaxing and leisurely enjoying my meal. Each time he came back he was a little less friendly, making statements that hinted at me being nearly finished with my meal. I hadn't been there long. I barely had time to take a few bites of my entree! By the time I was about halfway through my meal, he brought the check, laid it down on the edge of the table and asked, "Would you like a box to take the rest of that home?" I did not appreciate being rushed through my meal. Tables with at least two or more diners were encouraged to stay and order dessert. I felt like that because I was only a party of one, I was being rushed through so they could have the table for a group. I did not feel that I was being treated equally to the other customers. However, I did accept his offer for a box. I figured I would have to eat at home to be able to relax and enjoy this meal.

Shortly he returned with my box, picked up the check folder and asked if it was ready. I said, "No, I want dessert." He expressed an annoyed look of surprise, then took my dessert order. He also took the check folder, stating that he would refigure my check. He returned a few moments later with my new check, and asked how my dessert was. The question was made in a way that told me he hoped I was nearly finished.

As I got up to leave, no one appeared to notice. No one said good bye as I exited, nor invited me to return. I took a little more than half my meal home. I decided it was just too stressful here to eat. The food was fresh, hot and tasted great. Though not generous, the portions were good except for the French fries and dessert. The fries were delicious, but it certainly did not look like there was a full serving of them. The cheesecake was excellent, but for the price, I was very disappointed in the serving size.

The food here was good, and I would recommend it if you were purchasing take out. I also feel that you would have an enjoyable dining experience at Red Lobster if you were with a party of three or larger. But if you are dining alone and looking for a place to leisurely enjoy a good dinner with good service, I strongly recommend you look somewhere other than Red Lobster.

No comments:

Post a Comment